Risks Associated With Using Store Bought Rodenticides

Most people are disgusted by the sight or thought of rats invading their house. And rightly so. Rats scour through our Alabama sewers, garbage cans, and drains. Rats are the stuff horror movies are made of. Worst of all, they can carry a number of deadly diseases, persistent parasites, quick-spreading fleas, and dangerous ticks. Once inside your home, rats start to breed and spread throughout. But trying to control a rat infestation on your own can cause a series of its own problems. Using store-bought rodenticides or pesticides designed to kill rodents, carry its own set of risks and should always be done with great caution and care.

Risks Associated With Using Rat Poisonblue rat poison

Risks to Children

Most rodenticides contain ingredients that attract animals and come in the shape of pellets that look like candy. Young children are naturally curious, and an unfamiliar object is likely to draw their attention. Over the last ten years, 40 % more children have been poisoned by rodenticides. They are toxic to inhale, touch, and if ingested, can be fatal.  Unless you are absolutely sure your child does not have access to rat poison, the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Risks to Pets

Just like children, cats and dogs are curious. Most are always on the prowl for that next snack or any food they can find, and if something like rat poison is in their sight, chances are they will eat it. Pets are also able to get into places we usually think they can’t gain access to. And since most pets wander our homes unattended, there is a huge chance of them finding rat poison even in what you consider the hidden spots.

Risks to Other Animals and Wildlife

Using rat poison to attract and eliminate your rat problem can be hazardous to our Alamba birds and other wildlife.  There are two ways birds, and other wildlife can be poisoned. Because an animal cannot tell the difference between what is edible and what is rat poison, birds, squirrels, possums, and even stray cats and dogs are attracted to the smell and taste. Like the rats the poison was intended for, these animals can suffer internal bleeding and die.

Secondary poisoning occurs when birds and other predators eat the already poisoned animals. An example of this would be a hawk devouring an infected rat. It may take a few days, but the hawk will become sick, and it too will eventually die.dead rat on a shovel

The Disposal

When taking matters into your own hands using store-bought rodenticides, you also have to dispose of dead animals. While this may be ok for some, many of us are not accustomed to such work. It can be gross, time-consuming, and often the dead animal ends up in a separate, different place than the original bait. Because rats carry diseases, it’s essential to be careful when handling the dead rodent. You will want to wear gloves, a mask and only use your hands if no other option. Be sure to put the dead rodent in a tightly sealed trash container so that other animals are not attracted to the dead carcass.

Save the Hassle. Contact the Experts at Bama Pest and Allow Us to Handle Your Rodent Control

Instead of taking matters into your own hands, dealing with gross remnants, and risking injury to a pet or a neighbor’s pet, it’s best to leave the rodent control up to the professionals. Bama Pest offers superior rodent control and wildlife control services to provide you with a healthy environment for your home and property. We also use integrated pest management practices, so you can be sure we are using the most effective yet environmentally sensitive approach when reducing and eliminating pests on your property. Call us today at (251) 478-7015 or contact us here.

 

Click me for a modal
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.